RFI

[RFI] RFI from Seagate USB Disk Drive

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RFI from Seagate USB Disk Drive
From: N4ZR <n4zr@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2020 20:37:32 -0500
Since there are probably a lot of those out there, I thought I'd report finding that my Seagate USB 3.0 2TB disk drive was a major source of broadband RFI 160-10 meters. Oddly, the problem wasn't with the separate power supply (presumably switching) but with the drive itself. By trial and error, I found out that 14 turns of the DC power cord on a #31 toroid right at the drive end eliminated the noise.  Reduced my noise floor on 160 by roughly 20 dB, to the point that I can actually hear atmospheric noise.  Step-by-step hi

--
73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network