RFI

Re: [RFI] Portable Terminated Flag for MF/HF direction finding by WD8DSB

To: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Portable Terminated Flag for MF/HF direction finding by WD8DSB
From: AA5CT via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 22:55:23 +0000 (UTC)
FB Don.

The Coastal Navigator is late 1960's tech, using Germanium transistors
and the 'usual' tuned ferrite loopstick (characteristic for gear of that
vintage)
in conjunction with a telescopic whip to achieve its cardioid pattern.

Given your results on an S6.5 noise signal, the flag with its preamp achieves
a slightly lower noise floor (a little more more sensitivity) than the Coastal
Navigator at 160 meters. I have seen S7 on the meter for 160 meters here
in the city (after a rain), but presently have two distinct noise sources
keeping my noise floor more like S9 on the Icom station rig on 160m.

I've located the two sources, one, a residence (neighborhood has all under-
ground utilities), is a first for me on 160 meters. It sounds like a dull thud
and I confirmed the house by bicycling by and seeking a null with the ferrite
loopstick on the Coastal Navigator as I cycled by ... the antenna always
pointed (using the null) in the direction of one residence, so I'm fairly
certain of the house. That's a 'tactical' advantage of the Coastal Navigator,
along with the cardioid (unidirectional, when selected) antenna pattern!

73, de AA5CT Jim

.
.

On Thursday, February 20, 2020, 3:36:29 PM GMT-6, Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>