RFI

Re: [RFI] UPS with external batteries

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] UPS with external batteries
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2020 10:54:12 -0700
Gary,

I built a EMCOMM cabinet for our condo and it includes a HughesNet satellite link requiring 120vac. The inverter used was 24vdc sine wave inverter 600w samlex PST-600-24a (FCC class B). 600w capacity in case we needed more 120vac for PC's etc.

We haven't noticed RFI on GMRS, 2m, 70cm and HF. Although we are in a high noise environment - downtown Settle, 32 floor, roof antennas. My other experience with Samlex switching power supplies has been good.

Your 5 KWH capacity is quite a battery challenge. We used 4x 6v golf cart batteries (220 AH x 24v) which will keep the sat modem running about 24hrs, then a Honda 2kw to recharge. We also use 2x 6v GC batteries for the 12v radios. Separate 24v and 12v chargers.

Golf cart batteries are the most A-H per dollar. Paralleling batteries is not a good idea, so either going to a 48v inverter (not sure Samlex makes one) with GC batteries or 24v with L16's or bigger is needed for 5KWH.

A friend's remote camp uses Outback inverter/chargers but they are 3.5KW capacity and the battery bank is 8x 6v 500A-H Rolls. No RFI when I operated VHF & HF there. An important thing to remember is his charging power is about 4kw and if the load is another 3kw then a 7kw (8kw Kohler propane installed) generator is needed.

Grant KZ1W