RFI

Re: [RFI] New Astron Switching PS RFI?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] New Astron Switching PS RFI?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 14:11:35 -0700
On 5/18/2020 11:45 AM, Kim Elmore wrote:
I also have an old Astron RS-35 (no meters) linear supply. I tossed the Astron regulator board that
came with it (very prone to RF) and put in an “RF Proof” regulator board from the 1988
ARRL Handbook. It’s built like a tank and is still doing fine.

A likely cause of the RF issue is that in every Astron I've opened, the foot of the terminal strip to which both V- and Green Wire are soldered was insulated from the chassis by paint. This makes the Green Wire and V- excellent receiving antennas.

Other than that soldered connection, everything from the DC side of the transformer floats, so that V- can be floated. And, in most stations, it should be, but the chassis should be bonded to the rest of the station. I've scraped the paint in mine, of course.

73, Jim K9YC