RFI

Re: [RFI] Noise centered around 20 meters

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise centered around 20 meters
From: Gary Johnson <gwj@wb9jps.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 09:24:48 -0700
> From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us <mailto:k9ma@sdellington.us>>
> To: rfi@contesting.com <mailto:rfi@contesting.com>
>
> The clincher, in this case, is that the source goes silent when it is
> wet, returns when it dries out.

We had persistent power line noise at N6RO for two years, and indeed it went
silent whenever it rained. Eventually the PG&E guy came out and precisely
located it (he was a ham, as it turned out). Root cause: A cracked insulator on
a 13 kV line. Rain would apparently suppress the corona discharge. No issues
after the equipment was replaced.

The character of the noise was a broad-banded and erratic sizzle, on all the
low bands. Mostly looked like white noise on the waterfall. In contrast, the
noise caused by my neighbor’s infamous LED lights, which have no filtering on
the AC line side of their switchmode converters, was a powerful 120 Hz harmonic
buzz from dc to daylight.

Gary NA6O