RFI

Re: [RFI] Southern California Edison (RTVI Dept)

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Southern California Edison (RTVI Dept)
From: <kd6bzn@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 21:41:39 -0700
>> "frequency tuned zero span analysis."  Do you mean listen to audio at a
>> single RX frequency and display the audio spectrum?

Yes, If I'm analyzing an offending rattle in a theater, I can tune the spectrum
analyzer to the frequency of the offending noise, convert the alternating
waveform into a DC amplitude vs. time, fingerprint the pulse characteristics of
this noise, then perform a Direction Finding session of only this noise until I
find it and put some glue on it.

Note: While the frequency span is set to 0 Hz, the Resolution Band Width (RBW)
is set wide to avoid filtering the actual pulse rise and fall time (rounding of
the pulse, rounds off the amplitude and frequency response).

Thanks for the web site tip (Dave Cole/Jim Brown), I read though Dave Cole's
spectrum analysis project (https://www.nk7z.net/sdr-rfi-survey-p1/) and
starting through Simon Brown G4ELI's pages https://www.sdr-radio.com/.

Dave