RFI

Re: [RFI] Soliciting Help From Certified RF Engineer

To: Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>, Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Soliciting Help From Certified RF Engineer
From: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 13:47:48 +0000
Yes, but those measurements might convince Solar Edge that you do not have a
problem, which is exactly what we don't want

What I recommend we do is to first have W1VLF use a probe and SDR to measure
the noise from the inverters he has now by putting that probe a few inches away
from the inverter and other wiring and logging it on a few bands.  We can then
repeat the tests after Solar Edge installs a redesigned inverter.  That will
tell us how many dB improvement we can expect.

We can then send the probe and SDR to you to measure your inverter the same
way. If the noise levels are comparable or worse than Paul's present inverter,
we will know that installing the inverter will make a difference.  At that
point, I am convinced Solar Edge will do it.

But the only solution they can envision right now is the redesign and they
don't want to start putting them in anywhere until they and Paul determine that
it is worthwhile.

The good news is that another solar manufacturer has notice the hooplah and has
contacted Paul, wanting to work on noise issues before they happen.

Unfortunately, redesigning product and retrofiitting in the field takes
calendar time, so for the most part, now what we are drilled down this far,
this is about as good as I could expect.

Ed