RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI - A Losing Battle

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI - A Losing Battle
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 17:41:57 -0500
I think many need to carefully read what Ed writes here. Be extremely careful of wanting hard-set limits because that's what we'll get. Imagine "USC X.XX.XX Para 7 states radiated emission will be no more than x.xx uW (or dBm or uV/m or...) specified by the following spectrograph using a standard measurement technique of <blah blah blah>..." This could be disastrous for someone next door but "Meh" a a few houses away. What we have is imperfect and a PITA but be very careful what is asked for because it might just be granted.

It isn't possible to make everything utterly RF silent: it simply isn't. It needs to be quiet enough for the particular situation and even that will be a compromise. I don't like the fact that we have noisy electrical and electronic equipment: I'd love to see things as silent as they were when Marconi was a kid, but they aren't and never will be. We need to be skillful in how we approach the problems and work with the problems to make them quiet *enough.*

Kim N5OP