RFI

[RFI] NEW KITCHENAID REFRIGERATOR / FREEZER

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] NEW KITCHENAID REFRIGERATOR / FREEZER
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2020 00:22:25 +0000
I wish I could include images with the group.io groups, but can't.  Using
the HP 8753C, I selected the large ferrite toroid which gave the best
performance at 160-meters and above using a single turn clip lead through
each candidate core.

I was concerned about the recommendation in the manual that a circuit fused
(circuit broken) for 15 to 20 amperes was necessary.  HitchenAid also
recommended against use of an extensiion.  All this lead me to believe the
unit drew upwards of 15+ amperes at 120 vac,  So, I went overboard using
AWG #12 stranded wire for the CM choke.  Then I get behind the frig to
install it, and find the cord on the back is only AWG #18.  Would have been
much easier to have just used a butchered cord.  Well, here is the solution
(no picture).  The CM choke measured 146 + j322 at 1.78 MHz when completed
with three turns through the core (including the 'green' conductor).

Problem solved.  I still have a little 60 Hz garbage on 160-meters from
elsewhere, but this totally took care of the frig. RFI.  And how many
problems have I solved while still working by simply adding the CM choke
that should have been there in the first place?  TOO MANY.......  Darn
contract manufacturers!

Once again, I'm a happy camper and thankful I have a functional RF lab.

BTW:  KitchenAid claims "Made in the USA" (of foreign and domestic parts).

Dave - WØLEV