RFI

[RFI] Audio Amps

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Audio Amps
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 10:53:57 -0700
Here's my response to Tony's direct post to me. Note that my observation on tube amps is in the context of "high futility" audio, where fools are easily separated from thousands of dollars for what is nothing more than marketing BS. A well designed vintage tube amp certainly could be a solution.

Hi Tony,

That's something I've never needed. From an early age, I've always been a headphones guy for ham radio, and virtually any modern rig can make them plenty loud and sound as good as the radio. The only time I use a speaker is for very casual monitoring of stuff that doesn't matter, or for observing the general nature of digital signals.

Tube amps are another "fool and his money" object.

How do you want to use speakers with your ham rig? What radio do you find has inadequate power to drive speakers, and what (on-powered) speakers have you tried?

FWIW, powered loudspeakers, even the very best for recording studios, are notorious for detecting RFI.

73, Jim K9YC