RFI

Re: [RFI] Audio Amplifiers RFI

To: rfi <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Audio Amplifiers RFI
From: HP <pfizenmayer@q.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 18:11:18 -0400 (EDT)
In a VHF contest -on 6 meters - I was getting bursts of wide trashy noise -
pulsing like a drum beat .
Seemed to be peaking north of me . So I went out with my ICOM R10 hand held rx
and just the rubber duck ant --
As soon as I got to alley I could hear bass notes pulsing at same rate as the
RF noise . The neighbors outside
audio system was oscillating on 6 meters (and who knows where else) in sync
with the bass notes !!!!

On 15 meters - It was even worse even some of the trash during the melody
phrases.
Fortunately I think it must have destroyed itself -

So you probably need to add what happens when the amp starts to clip as well as
various non resistive loads
to decide if the amp is "stable"

I spent over 35 years doing solid state RF PAs - 90 percent of the work was
making them stable under
every conceivable condition. Now "audio" devices have higher Ft than a lot of
the "RF" devices I had
when I retired in1998.

Hank K7HP