RFI

[RFI] QUESTION

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] QUESTION
From: Gary Johnson <gwj@wb9jps.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 16:48:16 -0800
That’s easy. RF is picked up on the AC lines then enters any nonlinear device
plugged into those lines, such as a walk wart. There, RF is rectified,
harmonics are generated, and that’s mixed with all the garbage on the power
line, then re-radiated via conducted emissions. Many harmonics are normally
expected. This is the classic problem for any SO2R or M/M station.

Case study: At 8P5A, Tom has very little ancillary stuff plugged in and yet he
had your problem. He traced it to a single LED light. Once removed, the
harmonic garbage disappeared.

Gary Johnson NA6O
gwj@wb9jps.com