RFI

[RFI] Seeking opinions about origin of this major RFI...

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Seeking opinions about origin of this major RFI...
From: N2CBU <listmember@list.n2cbu.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 21:26:34 -0500
I haven't been able to identify the source of this RFI, only that it's
strongest at an intersection about 1000 feet
from my QTH. It's been plaguing me for months now. There doesn't seem to be any
regularity, but it is affected by
weather, wind, rain, snow, etc. I see peaks and nulls in multiple directions
with my rotor-mounted loop, and see one
significant null in the direction of that intersection. The electric utility
investigated the area but reported
nothing found.

The RFI has several "modes" of operation, and this is an example of when it's
in "Fukushima mode" - sorry about the focus:

https://n2cbu.com/RFI/VID_20201109_110348.mp4

At 30 seconds as I pass 5.2MHz, you'll hear another "mode" that sounds like a
searing arc. At 1:04 minutes, when I
tune to VLF, you'll hear another "mode" that sounds like vibrating transformer
plates. Later, note the peaks and
sounds around 60kHz and 10Khz.

Other "modes" sound like a continuous crackling spark, or a intermittent
crackling spark. Sometimes the continuous
crackling spark lasts for days. Depending upon the "mode" there are RFI signals
up through about 130MHz. Peaks and
valleys in the HF range make it seem like the power lines are acting as
antennas. It's all related because on rare
moments there's no RFI across the spectrum, then the wind will blow and it
comes back in some mode.

I'd been hoping that whatever it is would explode, or at least halt and catch
fire, but no such luck. Maybe someone
recognizes what this could be?

Thanks!

Andrew, N2CBU