RFI

Re: [RFI] FW: Sweden imposes higher levy on electricity bills for EMC |

To: Steve Dyer <w1srd@yahoo.com>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] FW: Sweden imposes higher levy on electricity bills for EMC | Southgate Amateur Radio News
From: James Gordon Beattie Jr <w2ttt@att.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 06:29:53 +0000
Pardon the typo...
...the world will be better...

By the way, at one point Congress, in its appropriation for the FCC had to
mandate that each FCC Commissioner had to hire at least one engineer for their
staffs.  Apparently, Commissioners of both parties got into the habit of
eliminating any engineering input from their work and the Congress wisely
exercised their oversight function to address the technology gaps.  Of course
the Commissioners generally do as they please with staff input, but at least
the Congress tried to highlight the issue and provided an avenue for
improvement.

Today, I don't know how individual Commissioners manage their staffs, but
overall the government is laden with lawyers and technocrats who "know better"
than private citizens and industry.

You can draw you own conclusions as to whether things like government oversight
in EMC can be cost-effective and technically efficient - especially since we
have fundamental debates at every level of our governmental educational
apparatus as to what values should be taught in our schools and what
fundamental skills should be displaced to accommodate their insertion into the
curriculum.

Basic technical standards for Electro-Magnetic Compatibility are inherently
complex, and there are cost implications to protective measures.  Let's get
folks to understand that RF hygiene is in everyone's best interest, as we want
our devices to interoperate well as we layer in more and more devices that
enable the needs and desires of our world.  While it will never be perfect, it
can be better.  We only need to point to the long-term impact of the Goldwater
Act on TVI to know that improvements are incremental and effective.  Now we
need similar improvements to the standards for switched mode power devices and
things will improve over time.

73,
Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
201.314.6964