RFI

Re: [RFI] New Solar Panel System Causing Grief For Hams

To: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>, Tony <73guddx@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] New Solar Panel System Causing Grief For Hams
From: "Hare, Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 00:55:21 +0000
It is not correct that the systems do not need to comply with FCC regulations.
They very much do.

Because they are essentially switching power supplies, they need to comply with
the Part 15 limits for unintentional emitters.  Under those rules, they are
classified as "digital devices."

They must meet the limits for noise conducted onto the AC mains below 30 MHz.

They must meet the limits for radiated emissions above 30 MHz.

This means that there is no limits on radiated emissions below 30 MHz for solar
systems.   The premise on which the rules are based is that on HF, devices are
generally small and thus do not act as effective antennas, but the long wires
that are the AC mains do radiate, so by controlling emissions onto the AC
mains, historically, EMI has been controlled.

In the case of solar systems, though, the wires from inverters to
microinverters or to optimizers do not have specific emissions limits.  IMHO,
this is a potential problem that needs to be addressed in the long run, but
those kinds of changes to emissions limits that have been reasonably effective
for decades are going to take years of time to resolve, if ever.

Meeting the limits is the responsibility of the manufacturer.   From all
indications, the emissions above 30 MHz meet the limits, as do the conducted
emissions below 30 MHz, meeting the limits for noise conducted onto the AC
mains.

The rules then go on to require that the operator of the device use is in ways
that do not cause harmful interference to licensed radio services. It is on
this basis that solar-system EMI has been addressed.  In one manufacturer's
case, a design that did cause a lot of interference, it has retrofitted over
400 systems in the field to date.

The problems come from a few issues. First, initial designs were not good, and
the installation practices were worse, with panels with noisy wires
daisychained into large loops.  The inverters and optimizers in present use are
more quiet, and all manufacturers specify to their installers that they should
connect all external wiring using twisted pair.  Ferrites are also added to the
wiring.

Not all installers are following the good practices, though, and although the
number of complaints is staying pretty steady, this is in the teeth of an
increasing number of installations.

Would we be delighted if every manufacturer of noisy devices created a program
to address that interference and retrofitted or replaced hundreds of systems?
The manufacturer involved in most of the problems is continuing to look to
improve the system, with design changes in the works that in some cases has
made a difference, in other cases not but still being work that continues.

We will never get regulations that eliminate all possibility of interference.
Those limits are not practically achievable.  The limits on amateur harmonics
are also pretty high, with 50 mw harmonics being legal from HF transmitters.
Do we cant draconian regulations for ourselves, that prevent all possibility of
TVI or other interference to other services? If so, we would need 100 dB more
attenuation. If we demand that, the same principle would be applied to us and
we'd be taking the position that the existing rules are fine.

Expect the same pushback from the industry if we were to try to get the
emissions limits lower.  They are responding, as a rule, and in instance after
instance over decades of time, I have seen  manufacturers start with
"case-by-case" solutions, but ultimately reduce the emissions from their
products to be more than the rules require, just to cut down on the cost of
field retrofits.

Yes, the League is working with manufacturers, and they are responding by
replacing hundreds of systems, 95% to the satisfaction of the ham. We are
convincing them to go after the remaining noise, and they are. We are poised to
create an industry standard to specify limits and installation practices, and
much of all of that might end if amateur radio takes a confrontational approach
instead of one of mutual cooperation.

Having said that, yes, we are working on it, but there are bigger fish to fry,
such as grow lights as much as almost 60 dB over the limits and a flood of
imported devices that also exceed the limits.

This is amultifold problem that will take longer to resolve head on than by
building trust and cooperation. And that is my decades of experience in this
arena talking.

Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Lab