RFI

Re: [RFI] Solar Panel RFI Awareness At Dayton

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Solar Panel RFI Awareness At Dayton
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 13:07:42 -0700
Respectfully, (and to keep the record correct here),  your comments about the FCC being, "out of touch", "deranged", "vindictive", and "destructive", are only your interpretation of some well though out comments, which did not include anything even close to that line of thinking... You may be overreacting to what was said.

From the recent forum thread:

“I might be off base here, but I don't see any downside to
petitioning the FCC to rethink emissions limits to benefit hams.”

A response:

"I would hate to see the “harmful interference” limitation removed from some of the current regulations"

The above comment of losing what little we have, has been a common response for well over a decade, and is often mentioned in this forum, and others, hence my questions (as indicated by question marks):

"Is the FCC so out of touch, so deranged, so vindictive and destructive, that merely mentioning a regulation may no longer be adequate, and should be reviewed for current conditions, the response would be, "You know what? FINE. NO MORE REGULATIONS! Y'all can just suck it!!"?

Why would multiple groups addressing the same issue result in regulations being removed?

What petition was suggested to remove any current regulations regarding harmful interference?

What mentality am I missing here?"

The word "mentality", in the final sentence, was in reference to those appearing to be afraid to say anything that may benefit society at all, for fear of losing everything already in place.

It IS a strange attitude, and clearly I missed something if fear of getting the exact opposite of what wants, simply my mentioning it, is the new norm... If that's the case, can we set the emissions levels at 1MW (not to be confused with mW), so new regulations will demand that RFI essentially drop to electron noise?

I did not state the FCC was "out of touch, so deranged, so vindictive and destructive", I ASKED if they were. The answer, could be, "No".

Personally, I think more groups, from more directions, attempting to address the issue more directly, in more ways, to what Ed posted earlier as being regulations developed in the 1950's, and not addressing, or resolving issues we have now, for a problem noted as getting worse since the 1970's, could be a good thing.

A few fussy people is one thing, even a larger radio club, but everyone, everywhere, having a problem with all of it, all the time, that may bring attention to a current valid issue, and total inability to address it.

Regarding rethinking emissions limits: My suggestion, months ago, was remove the words "meet emission limits", so sloppy designers quit trying to design for the maximum limit, as the regulations state they must be met, and move a decimal point in levels one or two places left, and let RFI die off on its own in a few years, the new levels being 1/10th, or 1/100th by default.

Kurt