RFI

Re: [RFI] Power Line Radiated Interference Limits

To: AA5CT <jwin95@yahoo.com>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Power Line Radiated Interference Limits
From: Charles Plunk <af4o@twc.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 09:28:22 -0500
My situation is different. In over 20 years of power pole rfi (gets fixed, good for months, another crops up), all of my "harmful" ones have been within 2-3 city blocks, usually less. An old 7.2kv 3 phase line runs right by my yard and up the street where most of the issues arise. The worst have been at the corners of my yard. Yea I know, dumb decision to buy near a 3 phase line but I was young and stupid, lol. It also limits tower height I can put up.

Last visit the power co lineman told me there maybe plans to re route the 3 phase. Sounded like Christmas to me but I am not holding my breath.

Currently, I am hearing maybe 3 sources that are likely over 1/2 mile (I say this because there are no 7.2kv lines within 1/2 mile in those directions) but they are weak and very intermittent thus not worth chasing for me. NB on lowest setting takes care of them. On HF they are almost always unnoticeable without NB. On 6m I can hear them at times with the yagi a bit better. Now that summer and high humidity has kicked in, rarely hear them even on 6.

Looking at the OP's QTH, a bicycle would maybe be a good idea for him. I have looked at the marine df unit. Would have bought one if I had not found the poles easily, once I acquired a technique to identify the correct noise :-)

73

Chuck
W4NBO