RFI

Re: [RFI] Fw: TODAY: Ferrites for EMI Suppression Product Demo- REGISTER

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Fw: TODAY: Ferrites for EMI Suppression Product Demo- REGISTER TODAY!
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 11:40:10 -0800
I wouldn't expect to learn much from this. Fair-Rite, as well as other ferrite mfrs and vendors, markets to manufacturers who must conform to EMC regs worldwide, and for all practical purposes, as far as their components go, that's VHF.

In 2003, when I began my original research on EMC to audio systems, the marketing folks who I asked for engineering samples sent me everything I asked for, which was five pieces of several dozen parts. After 4-5 months, I asked them for 2.4-in toroids in #31, based on my initial work, but it wasn't in the catalog, 6-8 weeks later, they called and asked if I'd like 5 pieces of an initial sample run. The rest is history. On the basis of that original publication (to the AES) in 2005, and subsequent publication of k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf they eventually started publishing impedance curves for selected suppression products for 1, 2, and 3 turns.

In 2020, when I asked for engineering samples of #75 material to research chokes for the two new MF and LF bands, I ran into a brick wall. Back in 2003-05, Fair-Rite was owned and run by a husband and wife team who had started the biz, I think. She was the EE, he was the ChemE. I met them at an IEEE EMC conference in Chicago in 2005. They retired a year or two later, although from what I've seen online 5-10 years ago, they (and/or their family) retained ownership. Their retirement seems to have been the end of engineering management.

73, Jim K9YC