RFI

Re: [RFI] LED Street lights

To: John Langdon <WOYB10051@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] LED Street lights
From: "Hare, Ed, W1RFI via RFI" <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 22:13:06 +0000
I tend to agree, although Ethernet wiring, if properly installed, seems to be
reasonably well balanced and does not radiate significantly... usually.

I have said this before, but it bears repeating here:

Part 15 rules require the following:

  *   Radiated emissions limits for a device or system must be met above 30 MHz.
  *   Conducted emissions onto the AC mains​ must be met below 30 MHz
  *   There are no specific emissions limits on conducted emissions onto other
wiring below 30 MHz.  This point it critical, because for physically large
systems, such as the Ethernet wiring in a home, devices themselves (such as the
bulbs in question or the power supply providing power to the controller) do not
generally radiate on HF, but those wires do, and under Part 15, there is no
limit to the amount of signal or noise that can be conducted onto that
secondary wiring.
  *   The manufacturer must meet these limits
  *   There is an additional requirement that the device be used in  a way that
does not cause harmful interference, but this is the responsibility of the end
user, not​ the manufacturer.

In ARRL's testing and case experience, these types of devices typically do​
meet the emissions limits, with most noise not​ coming from the AC mains.  For
solar systems, for example, all of our testing suggests that the manufacturer
meets these rules, which is the reason that ARRL is working quietly with
manufacturers, not trying to get resolution with the FCC as long as the
manufacturers are reasonably trying to resolve issues.

Now, Ethernet-controlled lighting will have similar issues, with one notable
exception:  In solar, there are maybe 6 major manufacturers. With consumer
electronics, we are going to see a large number of manufacturers, rebranding,
imported products and many, many points of sale.  And, if our past experience
is correct, many devices will meet the rules, but some will not.

Even devices that "meet the rules" can and do cause interference. The rules are
pretty lax, seemingly created with the idea that the rules should limit the
number of interference problems to a low-enough number that it is practical to
address them on a case-by-case basis.  The limits also limit the geographical
area over which interference is possible, so if there is interference from a
legal system, it will be local and easier to find, not coming from a mile away.

Just some ramblings from the ARRL Lab volunteer. 🙂 FWIW.

Ed, W1RFI