[RTTY] RTTY 23 Hz Shift

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] RTTY 23 Hz Shift
From: w5ben@arrl.net (Duane Budd)
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 18:39:06 -0400
Hear - Hear!

Duane Budd
w5ben@arrl.net

-----Original Message-----
From: rtty-admin@contesting.com
[mailto:rtty-admin@contesting.com]On
Behalf Of John Lockhart
Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2001 8:44 AM
To: RTTY Reflector

I appreciate all the work soundcard software developers have
done and have
loaded  many of the programs on my hard drive.  The narrow
bandwidth modes
(i.e. PSK31) have advantages for low power operation, but I
don't find them
intriguing for contesting.  170 Hz RTTY is MUCH easier to
tune in quickly
(Contests = Speed).  I also like listening to both received
and transmitted
signals when operating rather than just watching a screen.
After 30 hours
of 170 Hz shift RTTY, the signals still have a pleasant
musical aspect to
them.  (maybe it's an acquired taste?)  Narrow shift signals
(phase or
frequency) sound like a tone going flat to me and it gets
worse with time.
If I consumed enough beer to enjoy the narrow tones, I
wouldn't know the
difference between my F4 and F2 buffers!

I agree that it's great to have these new modes to
experiment with - it's
made hamming much more interesting over the past few years.
I don't think
anyone should be surprised, however, when the multitude fall
back to the old
standbys of SSB/CW/RTTY for contests having wide
participation.

Hope to see everyone in CQWW RTTY later this month!

73,

John  W0DC