[RTTY] GU0SUP SOABLP CQ/RJ

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] GU0SUP SOABLP CQ/RJ
From: Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net (Phil Cooper)
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 18:02:27 +0100
Hi one and all................

Well, where do you start? What a nice one! Good conditions, and plenty of
participation. Nice to see some "rare" DX in there as well. I logged 78
countried in this one, so not bad!
Here is my RAW score (with the CT9 not yet sorted):

CQ/RJ WW RTTY Contest 2001
Call used: GU0SUP
Location:  Guernsey

Entry Class: Single Op, All Band, Low Power

Band    QSOs   Pts   QTH    DX  Zones
80          0         0       0       0       0
40         69      162     12     36     12
20        132     305      9      57     21
15         176     451    30      57    24
10          73     199     16      36    22
Total    450    1117    67     186    79

Claimed Score: 370844

Software: RTTY by WF1B  v5.01

Power Output: 60 Watts

"I have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations etc etc"

Phil Cooper  GU0SUP
1 Clos au Pre
La Hougue du Pommier
Castel
Guernsey  GY5 7FQ
Via UK

SOAPBOX:
Just couldn't get a run going when I called CQ, so ended up just S&P for
most of it. I did try a CQ on 40m, mainly to get some W State mults, but the
Europeans just made it complete havoc, so I gave up.
Missed Bob ZL2AMI on 40m, which p***ed me off, but I got him on 15m later
on. Nice to get AH6OZ and KL7AC in the log too, but best of all was getting
TI5U, HC8N and HO1A on all 4 bands.
Only really missed 4 nice ones: the W7/KH0, J28EX, a BA and TF, all of whom
I saw, but didn't make it.
I did manage to get zones 31 and 32, which are usually the hardest for me.
The Sunday saw some very strange sounding signals here, so I guess an aurora
was happening in the northern latitudes. Despite that, I worked VA7CC and
WW7OR quite easily, and it was good solid print too.
WF1B worked well with MMTTY (as usual), although I did have the problem of
the CT9 giving me credit for the wrong country.
On the down side, there were quite a few really BAD signals around, and some
from folk who should have known better! Add to that the number of people who
just don't seem to want to wait whilst an exchange is completed before
barging in with their call. Not all were "newbies" to RTTY, and there was
some real bad manners. I would have hated to be on the end of 9K2USA, ZC4DW
or the W7/KH0 call! They surely must think that Europe is populated by
morons at times! My final lament was seeing Chen AA6TY clearly print on my
screen, but I didn't know whether he was searching UP or DOWN, and couldn't
find a clear space either side to try!
Phil GU0SUP