[RTTY] Educational reading.

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Educational reading.
From: edlyn@california.com (Eddie Schneider)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:35:57 -0800
----- Original Message -----
From: Bill Turner <w7ti@dslextreme.com>

> I don't think it's really from Jules.  Look closely and you'll see an
> underscore in front of Jules' address.  All of them I've received so far
> have had the underscore.  It's trying to make you think it's from Jules
> and therefore legitimate.

The worm writes email addresses to the %System%\Protocol.dll file to prevent
multiple emails to the same person. Additionally, the sender's email address
will have the "_" character prepended to it, to prevent replying to infected
mails to warn the sender (eg user@website.com becomes _user@website.com).

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.badtrans.b@mm.ht
ml

Explains it all in great depth. Chau, Eddie.