[RTTY] RTTY Under Windows ME

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] RTTY Under Windows ME
From: zf2nt@candw.ky (Bruce B. Sawyer)
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 12:17:08 -0500
So my wife showed up here on Little Cayman Island yesterday afternoon
lugging my new computer.  Last night I transferred everything I had on the
borrowed laptop I had been using to the new computer and then returned the
laptop to it's owner.  Now I'm on my own with the new machine.

However, I got a real surprise when I tried to run RTTY on it:  I can't!
This machine is running Windows Millennium Edition, which is a version I
hadn't ever used before.  The surprise is that you cannot restart this thing
in DOS mode--that's not an option.  However, I found I can restart it in
Safe mode and then launch a DOS box.  The other logging software I have--TR
Log and CT--seem quite happy operating in that environment.  They can talk
to both the serial and parallel ports without being bothered by Windows.
However, when I try to launch the WF1B RTTY software I get a runtime error
before it ever starts.  I have both an ancient Version 2.12 I bought years
ago plus the more recent freeware Version 5.02.  Both behave the same way:
no go.  So what to do?  Is there any way to get WF1B software to run on a
machine with Windows ME?

Even if the answer is that I have to give up RTTY--and I really don't want
to do that, since I was planning on making a serious effort in the RTTY
Roundup--I've still got to be able to access the log I've already been
running from here.  I've made a bunch of RTTY contacts already, and most of
the people have made a big point of telling me it was a new country for
them.  So I know they are going to want a QSL card.  But if I can't start
WF1B RTTY, I can't get to the log to format it to send to my QSL manager
(G3SWH).  That will not make him very happy, because he likes to answer QSL
requests within a very small number of days.  So in the worst case, is there
somebody here who can take my binary log file and turn it into something I
can give Phil?

Thanks for any help.

Bruce, ZF2NT