[RTTY] getting closer

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] getting closer
From: rmaull@citynet.net (Roy Maull)
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 11:36:41 -0500
         At 23:21 12/26/01, you wrote:
>Thank you for all the good suggestions.  I have received some rtty!  I read
>the suggestions about running the audio from the radio (external speaker) to
>the LINE IN on the soundblaster card.  When I do that, I cannot get enough
>drive to make the program do anything even with the rig cranked all the way
>up.  I have played around with the volume settings, and the balance is set
>in the center of each of the windows.  When the audio from the radio is
>connected to the LINE IN on the soundblaster card, I can hear the radio in
>the pc speakers.  Now, if I put the audio from the radio into the MIC of the
>soundblaster, I loose the sound in the pc speakers, but the program seems to
>work.  I notice, like some of you said, it might be too much for the MIC IN,
>and I might have to make an attenuator, I agree.  I gave up on the MMTTY
>program and tried trueTTY.  It seems to work.  For another test, I put the
>audio from the radio into another computer (HP laptop) MIC INPUT and it also
>seems to work.  Wonder why the soundblaster doesn't like to work with the
>LINE IN?  Maybe I will just make that attenuator.  Any thoughts on this?
>Thanks so much for your help, and happy holidays- Dave, NC6P

         Dave,

         One of the things I have found here, is that my 850's don't like
it when I have isolation transformers in place.  The audio is cut back too
far for the LINE IN, and is still way too hot for the MIC IN.
         As suggested in another response, be sure that you have the LINE
IN selected, not muted in the sound card software.  There may be enough
bleed over from the MIC IN that you have some indication of audio in a
waterfall display, but not enough to drive the demods..

      73.. Roy  N8YYS
   Keep West Virginia beautiful.. Grow ALUMINUM!!