[RTTY] Icom rigs query

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Icom rigs query
From: wa0sxv@mellinger.com (Mike Mellinger WA0SXV)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 06:28:37 -0500
I use the 756 as the number two radio for SO2R in RTTY contests.  It was
my primary rig for a year or so before the PRO was introduced.

The IC756, with a 500 hz filter and a 350 hz filter is an excellent RTTY
rig.  It has "real" FSK and with those bandwidths would work great for
both CW and FSK.  The real-time bandscope is very useful during
contests.  The dual-watch receive can be used to listen during pileups
for the calling stations.  In RTTY, it has the option of 1/4 tuning rate
(or 1 hz tuning rate for that matter).

The primary disadvantages arise if you wish to work narrow bandwidth on
other digital modes as the narrow filters are not used on SSB.

But for FSK, CW, and SSB, I found it an excellent machine.

I cannot comment on the 765 -- never owned or used one.

73,
Mike WA0SXV