[RTTY] UBN analysis

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] UBN analysis
From: k5dj@austin.rr.com (Ron K5DJ)
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 19:26:52 -0000
 My understanding of what your supposed to do is copy what is
 sent. If what is sent is wrong then copy what's wrong. DON'T
 CHANGE IT to make it right, all the other logs will be wrong
 also. Just copy what is sent...  Naturally the S/W that's
 used is going to kick out anything that's wrong or it thinks
 is wrong. It up to the log checkers to make a decision on
 what to do with mistakes. Personally if I knew by checking
 logs that someone was sending the WRONG Zone and he did it
 to everyone then I wouldn't count off of it, because you did
 COPY what was sent CORRECTLY. However, in this case it would
 appear that everyone that worked RX9SR got zapped for a bad
 zone. It doesn't make any difference if all are counted wrong
 or right. Your standing in the results list would be the same,
 if all RX9SR's that show zone 17 are counted wrong.

 Now we need to know do we NOT log what is sent if we know a
 zone is WRONG or do we Edit it to make it CORRECT. Will it
 count as a good contact if you edit what was sent to make it
 correct???

 In my opinion Glenn needs to talk with someone and see if
 something can be done. This isn't the first time something
 like this has come up, and won't be the last.  It needs to
 be fixed in someway. Would it be counted correctly if you
 made a note to the log checker saying I logged Zone 17 but
 I know it should have been zone 16???  (To tell you the truth
 log checkers don't have time to read notes). Log checking S/W
 is needed to check logs. WAY TO MANY MISTAKES get over looked
 if you do it by hand. You catch it in this log but miss the
 same mistake in another log.

 BTW, most all USA supported contests all us Log Checking S/W
 and many if not most DX supported contests do also. NO ARRL
 are CQ contests in ANY mode are check with out the use of S/W
 that I know of.
 Log checkers get free S/W to check the logs. They all use it
 to the best of my knowledge.

 Lets give Glenn, Eddie and all involved time to look at it.
 Rome wasn't built in a day and this little problem won't be
 solved today. I'm sure they will do some thing asap. If not
 then we can bitch about it again.. :-)

  73, de Ron K5DJ