[RTTY] Getting started

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Getting started
From: chen@mac.com (Kok Chen)
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 12:06:27 -0700
<w5ec@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I am just getting started and using Mmtty.
> I want to see some rtty signals so I can play and get familiar with Mmtty.
> The bands are almost empty of rtty signals. Where can I find some good
> regular (continuous?) rtty signals to copy?

A couple of suggestions:

1) there is small RTTY contest this weekend.  Some of die hards will
   appear.  They always do, no matter how small the contest :-).

2) W1AW RTTY bulletins (14.095, 21.095, etc).  The schedule is likely
   to be published at the www.arrl.org website, but you can dig through
   QST where they periodically appear.

3) for testing my modem and contest implementations, I use a local
   AFSK source, instead of signals off the rig.  These have included

     a) another modem that is connected to a second computer

     b) a digital (e.g. WAV file) recording that you have previously
        recorded either off the air (good for testing things like
        polar flutter algorithms) or previously recorded off of your
        existing modem setup.  This is obviously not real-time.

     c) a signal, likewise recorded, but with a cassette tape deck.

4) try out MMTTY (good for adjusting VU levels and so on) with PSK31.
   There often are signals at 14070 when 14080 to 14090 appears dead.

5) pretend to be a P5.  You will be surprised how the band will suddenly
   fill up with signals.  Just say QRZ UP UP, and identify yourself
   every 10 minutes.  In between your IDs, the clueless will think it is
   some rare DX.  If you move your VFO a little after each transmission,
   people might think you are really rare DX.  (just kidding :-)

73

Chen, AA6TY