[RTTY] RE: Contest results

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] RE: Contest results
From: mobile.workshop@guernseytelecoms.com (Mobile Workshop)
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 08:49:53 +0100
Hi guys,

Well, I have sat back and read this thread with interest.
It seems to me that we have to remember a few basic things:

First, I suspect that the delay in getting the results out is a hangover
from a few years ago, before we all had access to email. It may be that
(when log submissions were sent by post), that the earliest CQ could make
results available was at Dayton. Realistically, the goal posts have been
moved a bit, due to the internet.

Second, it is only in the last year (maybe two) that ALL contests have
permitted emailed logs.

Third, some contests ARE supported by various magazines, and I guess we have
to bow to that. Contests do require sponsorship from somewhere.

Fourth, the CLOSING date for many of these contests is months in advance,
and you can't compile results until AFTER that time.

Fifth, suggestions about PAYING to enter contests is a non-starter!
Contributing to the cost of winners certificates is a different matter
entirely.

Having said that, I do feel that in this technological age, with
computerised log submission, and the following computerised log checking,
then it is realistic to expect the results to be published a bit sooner than
is currently the case.
Some contest organisers DO get results out and available in a speedy manner,
but the majority do not.
If you do wish to complain about the speed of contest results, then I would
suggest a letter or email to the organiser concerned would be a better
solution, rather than complaining about it in this forum.
I also have a feeling that the ARRL posts results for its' own contests on
the "members only" pages before they release them for general publication.

Finally, COME ON GUYS - there are MORE IMPORTANT things to worry about in
this life! Enjoy the contests, and have fun.

Very best 73
Phil GU0SUP

and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom
they are addressed. If you have received this email in error
please notify the author immediately and delete it, together
with all copies, from your system.  You are unauthorised to
directly, or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print or copy
any part of this message if you are not its intended recipient.
 Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of
Guernsey Telecoms Ltd.

Information held on any of Guernsey Telecoms' computer
systems is the property of Guernsey Telecoms Ltd. Guernsey
Telecoms Ltd reserves the right to monitor and review the
content of all information, messages and attachments sent
to or from this e-mail address.