[RTTY] DJ3IW and NAQP (long)

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] DJ3IW and NAQP (long)
From: George Johnson" <w1zt@arrl.net (George Johnson)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:58:44 -0400
Goetz and all,
Good question... and maybe provocative also...  I can add another
possible cause and question.

I noticed this same effect in NAQP and also believe in reciprocity.  As
Ekki noted, I think stations do use 100w.  But I also think antenna
direction is a factor in not getting signals through.  If someone's
"beam" is in another direction, as the S&P station you may copy him just
OK but with QRM from his "intended" direction he may not be able to copy
you.  I saw this quite a bit in IARU WRTC when I would call an OJ
station with his beam on Europe.  I could copy him but it was hard to
get his attention over the closer Eu stations and 90 degree direction
shift in his antenna.  They used 2 element antennas and once I could get
their attention I heard the big difference with they moved them closer
to my direction.  And I was using a KW here to their 100w.

Here is a little more provocative observation and question.  If the
CQing station is busy using 2 or more radios and not listening to audio
on his CQing radio, he needs very clear print (read big signal) to get
your call.  Or else your are buried in text noise.  He might hear your
audio if he was listening...  but is he actually listening???

This is in addition to the "normal" and frustrating delay that goes with
trying to work a station that is time sharing me with his other radio on
another band.

Flame suit is on...  I have to paint my house...  I will monitor the
Xray flux and Rx audio for incoming signals...

73, George .. W1ZT