[RTTY] Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP RTTY 160M Survey

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP RTTY 160M Survey
From: w7ti@dslextreme.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 19:38:36 -0700
On Wed, 7 Aug 2002 21:58:40 -0400, Bill Coleman wrote:

>Slowing RTTY to 30 or 22 baud ought to be more
>than sufficient to make reliable communications possible on 160m.

There is another compensating factor on 160 meters which reduces
many of the effects that Bill mentions:  Most 160 meter QSOs are
at a shorter distance than on the higher frequencies.  The closer
the two stations, the less chance for multipath distortion.

Granted, if you tried to work a station half way around the world
on 160 meter RTTY, it would probably be a mess, if it even could
be done.  But half way across the country ain't that bad.  I only
have eight 160 meter RTTY QSOs in the log, but I don't recall any
particular difficulty with any of them.  The farthest one was
about 1500 miles.

I'd like to give NAQP or some other contest a try.  If it really
doesn't work, we can always go back.

Bill, W7TI