[RTTY] 160 meter

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] 160 meter
From: w7ti@dslextreme.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 21:49:53 -0700
On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 04:07:17 +0000, K4SB wrote:

>80 up from the low end, except for contests, will bother no one. I
>cannot understand why we should pick a fight for no reason.

It will bother the phone guys, I guarantee.  Out here, at least,
they are pretty thick above 1850, even in summer.  Phone is
almost never heard below that except during contests.

And why will it bother them?  Because on all the other HF bands
in the US, phone and RTTY are strictly separated.  The correct
answer to that is "so what", but that's not how a lot of hams
think.

Drop a few RTTY signals in the "phone" band and WW3 will be
underway.

Remember MFSK16 and 14080?  Shudder...

Bill, W7TI