[RTTY] MMTTY curious problem

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] MMTTY curious problem
From: ekki@plicht.de (Ekki Plicht)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 22:09:22 +0000
During the SCC contest I experienced some new problems with MMTTY...

Somewhen in the early morning I couldn't print anything, although the signals
sounded OK, the XY-display of MMTTY showed a nice signal as well. I noticed
that the spectrum display above the waterfall of MMTTY was somewhat elevated
and a fast and small oscillation overlaid to the overall signal.

Looked to me like that MMTTY  filter began oscillating by itself. I know that
filters (real) can oscillate, and I suppose that simulated filters can show
the same behaviour... but never seen this before in MMTTY.

The only remedy was to move the Mark frequency off from where it was, then set
it back again to the original value (2125 Hz). Or leave MMTTY (RckRtty) and
restart.

It happened both with IIR and FIR filters, not with with PLL. I seems to me as
if it happened more often on a quiet band, like 20m early in the morning.
After my break, where I turned off the PC, it was working fine for the rest
of the contest. Maybe a temperature problem from the soundcard?

Does anybody know where this comes from?

73,
Ekki, DF4OR