[RTTY] Software Drivers

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Software Drivers
From: BobBoyd@nt1v.net (Bob Boyd)
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 17:23:08 -0400

I want to repeat a message that we keep hearing:  When we update to a
different operating system, such as from Windows 98 to Windows XP, we
shall usually require a new set of software drivers for such things as
serial ports.  (I probably should say ALWAYS, but I won't.)  Case in
point:

I have been using a ByteRunner PCI-400-9-4 card which provides four COM
ports.  It uses a 16950 UART on the PCI bus, and it worked great under
Windows 98SE, but when I finally moved the ham computer to Windows XP
Professional nothing worked if connected to this card.  For example, I
had MMTTY FSK and PTT working with COM2 which is on the motherboard but
when I tried to move it to COM3, it would only transmit five characters
and then would stall to sending 1 character per ten seconds!  Updating
the driver solved all the problems.  (Another problem with ports 3 thru
6 was resolved by this same update.)

If you need further info, ask me.

Bob - NT1V

multipart/alternative