[RTTY] Serial cards are getting scarce

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Serial cards are getting scarce
From: jeflanders@comcast.net (Jerry Flanders)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 22:02:29 +0000
If you have been putting off expanding your serial port count, read on::

At the recent Shelby, NC hamfest, I was surprised to find that no computer
dealer had any serial cards. Dealers told me they were obsolete and
"nobody" stocked them anymore.

Back home, a net search showed that the CompUSA chain sells one, a nice
2s+1p PCI card (SKU 271773) for only $30. A quick inquiry reassured me this
is a modern technology card that requires only one interrupt for all three
functions. A trip to my local CompUSA was disappointing - none were in
stock. Another internet search showed that some CompUSA stores had them,
some did not.

If the hamfest dealers were right, the CompUSA stores probably won't
re-stock when these are gone.

I had my local store order 3 for me from a store that had some. I have them
now, and have installed 2 .They do 5-bit FSK fine as well as CW keying, all
on one interrupt.

If you need more serial ports on a PCI bus, you might want to get a card
while you still can.

Jerry W4UK