[RTTY] WF1B Problem with laptop solved

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] WF1B Problem with laptop solved
From: n2ff@optonline.net (Frank Fallon)
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 12:37:31 +0000
Thanks for all the help guys.  I really appreciate it and it has sure
helped me fix the problem.

First off, the problem is NOT that the machine is running too fast.
SLOMO is not the solution.

Error 216 is as Vince, K6BIR; Jim, MM0BQI; and Phil, GU0SUP pointed out
a COM port error and there lies the problem.  I had copied the INI file
from the main computer here which has loads of com ports.  This little
laptop (which may be running a 486 chip) has only one.  When you get a
216 error it tells you that you have some incorrect com port information

in the INI file.

Once I went into the INI file and edited the com port info all
eventually began to work. It took we a while to find all the places
where I needed to make changes or comment out things.  I had to make the

following chugs:

ComPort=1
Under [RADIO] I had to place a semicolon (;) infront of ComPort
and I had to change [COM1] to
BaudRate=9600
Parity=None
DataBits=8
StopBits=1
HandShake=None

I also had to edit the [AUTOSAVE] as my little laptop does not have a D
drive.

Thanks guys for helping me get the machine ready for some BIG RTTY
Adventure.  I sure wish I had this little wonder with me in J3 three
years ago as I know I would have worked more of the deserving.  It looks

like Phil and Jim want to see me on the air when I next visit EI or my
daughter in Arundel, West Sussex.  Neither will be for a while as the
daughter and four year old granddaughter will be here for an extended
stay just before Thanksgiving.  But we should be in Arundel for about
three weeks at Christmas 2003 with the laptop.

It really is amazing when I look at this little laptop and think back to

1964 and the model 15 and home-brew W2PAT tube type converter I started
with.  Now I can fit the entire RTTY station, including radio and
antennas, in a carry on bag and not get a hernia.  A MAZ ing!

Thanks es 73 de Frank...N2FF...