[RTTY] AA5AU SARTG Score

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] AA5AU SARTG Score
From: w2up at mindspring.com (Barry )
Date: Tue Aug 19 14:57:05 2003
Hi Goetz,
About 25(?) years ago, our FCC dropped the signing portable
requirement. At one time, prior to that, it was required to sign /x.
It was also required to notify the FCC of portable operations longer
than a week (imagine that today!).
At this time, a new ham is assigned a sequential callsign based on
his QTH at the time of initial application. For example, if Joe
Newham, of NH, passes his Tech license exam, he is assigned a call
such as KD1XYZ. If he moves to CA tomorrow, he is still KD1XYZ.  If
KD1XYZ lives in NH and upgrades, he may request a vanity callsign.
He could become W6XY, still in NH.
You asked, "Why do your regulations require you to sign /portable
using the "non-existing call areas" for portable operation?"
There is no such regulation, unless the operation is outside the US.

So, you see, the number in the call no longer means anything.
Another post suggested that any multiplier info be included in the
exchange. Excellent idea! Even if the multiplier info is the "call
area," if the exchange included the state, the traditional 10 call
area can be identified from that info.
73,
Barry W2UP