[RTTY] DL6JZ: ARRL RTTY RU

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] DL6JZ: ARRL RTTY RU
From: dl6jz@t-online.de (Dr. Wolf-E. Gruening)
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 20:34:55 -0000
Hallo folks,

thank You for a nice weekend again. This are my results:

     80 m     119 Q                    EU ... 63.5 %
     40 m     136 Q                    NA ... 28.6 %
     20 m     153 Q                    AS ...  6.3 %
     15 m     133 Q                    SA ...  0.7 %
     10 m      67 Q                    AF ...  0.8 %
     _______________                   OC ...  0.2 %
     Total:   608 Q         33 States    6 Prov    58 DX

     SCORING:  608  QSO points x   97 multipliers =     58976  claimed score

      Power Output: 400 watts
      Hrs of Op:    23.5

      Equipment Description:
     Rigs:     FT-1000MP + h.m. PA + KAM (FSK)
     Antennas: 3 ele Tribander + dipole
     Software: WriteLog 10.37 + MMTTY 1.63(dual receive)

Some remarks:

1. After some RTTY contests with only my KAM as decoder I finished a small
receiving interface for the soundcard (onboard AC 97) on thursday. And on
friday I made the installation and setup of MMTTY and WriteLog following the
webpage for dual receive by AA5AU (Thank You Don). The result was exciting!
About 10 per cent of the QSO's wouldn't have been possible with the KAM only
because there were no significant signs in the respective receive window.
And there were only 5 QSO's or so where the receiving capability of the KAM
was better. My FT-1000MP has got 500-Hz-filters in the 2nd and 3rd IF.
The whole setup worked flawlessly as every time.

2. The DX-conds on the higher bands were not so good as I had expected. No
VK/ZL for the first time in RTTY contest! And only 33 US states are not
enough. I heard 2 or 3 more but they were in S & P mode. I had the feeling
that it was quite difficult for Europeans with such modest rigs as mine to
break through a wall of many US-stns working one the other. And I couldn't
believe it, when I finished the contest after 23.5 operating hours there was
no (NO!) QSO with AA5AU. Congrats for Your superb result Don!

3. One request about the operating: Please end your call for another station
with kn and not only with k. I am sure you know very well what is the
background of this  difference.

4. A space at the very beginning and the end of every transmission would be
very useful for the receiving station also!

See You again in a RTTY test.

73 + 55
Wolf, DL6JZ.