[RTTY] Contest Macros

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Contest Macros
From: w7ti@dslextreme.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:07:00 -0800
On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 15:46:30 -0500, Ed wrote:

>What is the general opinion on using a LF before and after contest macros. ?
>Is this a good operating practice or just another way to slow things down.?
>The upcoming BARTG will be only my 2nd attempt at RTTY contesting, and I
>don't won't to look any more a novice than I have to. Any other tips or
>suggestions from anyone.? TIA...73

You should put something after the last character in your macro
in order to separate your information from the noise.  Otherwise
the other guy may get something like CQ DE W7TIMCHSNE6CNBS
instead of CQ DE W7TI MCHSNE6CNBS.  The first one makes the call
un-clickable; the second makes it possible.

To answer your question, a line feed is fine; so is a space and
maybe even better is to have both in case one gets garbled.  Each
character you add to a macro (including space) adds approximately
167 mS to your transmission - about 1/6th of a second.

73, Bill W7TI