[RTTY] Baudot

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Baudot
From: w7ti at dslextreme.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Fri Jan 24 10:54:32 2003
On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 06:55:19 -0700, AE0Q V31RY wrote:

> Use dashes (no spaces) between groups of numbers to keep from having to
>send the FIGS again after each space.

I realize this is a topic like politics or religion - we all have
opinions which can never be "proven" correct.

But I feel that dashes should not be used in the above situation.  Where
both stations are using unshift on space (USOS), having a space instead
of a dash increases the odds of correct reception, especially under weak
conditions.

When the space is transmitted and received, both the TX and RX are reset
to the LTRS mode and a FIGS character is sent next, before the next
number.  This only takes an extra 167 mS - one sixth of a second - and
fixes any error due to a garbled FIGS character sent previously.

You might consider having two buffers:  One with dashes when sigs are
strong, and one with spaces when they are weak.  With WriteLog, one
could be the regular F-key and the other the shifted F-key.

Comments welcome.

73, Bill W7TI