[RTTY] DX Spotting during WPX

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] DX Spotting during WPX
From: aa5au at bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Tue Feb 11 15:15:32 2003
Yes, Jim, this is poor practice.  And if would dare speculate, I would go as
far as saying that these spots were probably generated by a station actually in
the contest but using a different callsign than EA9LS.

IMO, this is the same as "self spotting".  And should not be confused with a
strategy where someone spots a rare station, you go there and there is no one
on that frequency, so you go ahead and CQ.  I did not use this trick in WPX,
but it seems perfectly within the rules and the intent of the contest.

I did notice a particular station in W7 land that was spotting stations on his
run frequency.  This doesn't bother me if a station sends out, say one spot,
just
to let people know there is a rare station floating around S&P on that band that
you my want to fish for.  However, when several spots come out for the same
frequency from the station running on that frequency, it's the same as self
spotting.

Good point to bring up.

>From what I can tell, I had more multipliers than any other single op in WPX,
so I was jumping on every single multiplier spotted on the cluster after the
first
24 hours.  It doesn't do much good chasing multipliers via packet spots on the
first day (unless it's a very rare one you don't think will be there on Sunday)
because you will get at least 1 new multiplier in every 3 QSO's just by running
CQ.

73, Don AA5AU