[RTTY] NA Sprint - KI6DY

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] NA Sprint - KI6DY
From: ki6dy at sbcglobal.net (ki6dy)
Date: Sun Mar 9 12:26:20 2003
NA Sprint RTTY Contest

Call: KI6DY
Operator(s): KI6DY
Station: KI6DY

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 4
Radios: SO2R

   80:   31
   40:   89
   20:   50
---------------------

Club:

Team:

Comments:

Well, a stupid error by me cost me operating time and points. Activity was
great
but I missed a bunch due to the following blunder.

Friday I went out a bought a PCI serial card so that I could get the 2nd
radio
under computer control. No problem, had that set-up and running Friday
night.

During the contest however, my KAM, which is the TNC for the 2nd radio and
on
COM1 kept giving me broken print. I knew I was sending correctly because
guys
would answer my CQs but their print was broken as well as my outgoing text
in
the 2nd RTTY window. I also tuned my 1st radio to my 2nd radio xmit freq and
could see that the outgoing messages were correct. Never got it corrected
during
the test so I was basically SO1R.

After going to bed and thinking about what was really happening, I decided
this
morning to check the Rx FIFO settings on COM1 because I remember at least
looking at the advanced settings on all my COM ports after installing the
PCI
card. Sure enough, inadvertently at some time I must have set the Rx FIFO
size
to 1. Duh, that ain't going to work. Set the Rx FIFO back to 14 and all is
well
post-contest.

Glad I got this figured out before BARTG next weekend.

Congrats to all that had some pretty impressive QSO totals. I guess the
decision
to keep this contest going was a good one. Maybe the threat of cancelling it
was
what brought everybody out. In fact, the activity was so good I found myself
thinking during the contest that the 3 QSO seperation rule was really not
required. There were plenty of stations to work.

See ya next week,

Bob (KI6DY)