[RTTY] PSK and also MFSK!

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] PSK and also MFSK!
From: wd9ewk at yahoo.com (Patrick STODDARD)
Date: Mon Mar 24 12:22:21 2003
> How do you get these guys to listen before xmiting??  It is beyond
me to understand how normal hams can get this way.

The problem with those guys.... they *are* listening, yet still
decide to transmit on that frequency.  Otherwise, they might try to
call CQ or those nonexistent stations before you try to use that
spot on the dial.  Rude, and IMHO illegal.

I appreciate the benefits of MFSK, but on my trips to Mexico I will
not use that mode.  I try to do RTTY, and have done a bunch of PSK31,
and those two keyboards are enough for me on those trips.  Sometimes
I will see MFSK pop up right on my frequency when I am trying to work
RTTY around the .080s on those bands.  Oh well.... sometimes I move
up a little bit and stick with RTTY, or go to the PSK31 spots on the
dial and work that mode.  Or, where's that cerveza?

As for the l-o-n-g QSOs on PSK31, yes - macros make that very easy
to do.  It's something I try to deal with, understanding that some
who are using the macros are doing so because their grasp of English
is very limited.  If I am called, or trying to work, a station in a
Spanish-speaking country I will usually start out in Spanish for that
QSO, and sometimes that lets the operator type to me instead of using
the macro files.  Other than for CQing, I don't use macros for PSK31.
I just type, usually faster than the program will transmit it, and
that's OK for me.

Back to work......

73!  Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK

--
Patrick STODDARD                E-mail: wd9ewk at yahoo dot com
Glendale, Arizona, USA          ICBM:   33.5 N 112.2 W

       My web pages, sort of: http://www.qsl.net/wd9ewk/