[RTTY] Dayton RTTY Forum Presentations on the Web

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Dayton RTTY Forum Presentations on the Web
From: llindblom at juno.com (llindblom@juno.com)
Date: Tue May 27 17:29:46 2003
When I saw the presentations at Dayton I was in total agreement with all they
said as they were all things that could help a score.  But they will not help
as much from for a Black hole station.

>From the black hole you have to learn to accept frustration.  Or, at least
>trying to learn to accept frustration.  You also have to learn to latch on to
>the occasional small reward/reinforcer.  As in when you bust through a pile-up
>of east coast stations for a rare mult in a DX test. Those small thing help
>keep you going through the lean times (reading the contest results).

For me the frustration is in knowing that a 3 high stack of TH-7s on 123 ft of
tower and 4 square arrays on 40, 80, & 160 is never going to be competitive
with the likes of W1ZT or other east coasters, let alone a bijou lander like
AA5AU.  Or should, I be frustrated at being that poor an operator?  Easier to
blame location than my self;-)

Some station in OH, MI, etc will claim to be in the black hole.  From my
perspective they are in what I term the "mideast."  I call it that as those
stations are typically 300 or more mile east of here.

About five or more years ago there was an NCJ article that attempted to define
the black hole by the polar aurora zone and having to beam through it to hit
major population centers.  It seemed living in a state that bordered on the
Missouri or Mississippi Rivers was a large part of the criterion.  And, dear
old Iowa has a border with both of those rivers which is why we are called the
land between to rivers.

>From the center of the black hole

73 de W0ETC in IA

--- "Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net> wrote:

Hi Don,

Many thanks for putting the presentations on your website! They all make
interesting reading, and I am sure some of us can learn a thing or two from
at least one of the slide shows.
The way those PowerPoint presentations have been put into the web pages is
excellent, and it looks very professional! Well done that man!

"Improve your antennas" is the one part that defeats me at the moment, due
to lack of space, both on the flat plane, and also vertically.

It was interesting to note that there are differences between each of the
thoughts, and I guess that is partly due to the geographical locations of
the three of you.
I wonder what thoughts someone from the "Black Hole" has on these? Anyone
care to comment?

Well done Don, George and Jay,
73 de Phil GU0SUP