[RTTY] KH9 Operation

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] KH9 Operation
From: walt at hawaii.rr.com (Walt Niemczura)
Date: Sun Jun 15 20:38:22 2003
Hi Folks,

I spent some time working with Chuck Brady, N4BQW this morning
trying to help him sort out some RTTY problems from KH9.

He's operating a 756-Pro II with a Rigblaster interface and
using Logger 32. He is having technical problems. Seems that
the RX audio cable is bad. What he has had to resort to is TX
using AFSK and switching the rig to FSK to use the on-screen
decoder, then switching back to AFSK/LSB to transmit again.
Big pain in the butt for him but he wants to get some RTTY
QSOs out there.

I know next to nothing about the Pro II but I don't think
that you can use the on-screen decoder unless you are in
the RTTY mode. If I'm wrong then maybe someone out there
can give Chuck a hand. We managed a QSO today with him
up at 14.106 while I was working split TXing on 14.106
and listening on 14.103.85. It worked but it was nasty. If
he has to continue like this I don't think he will be
able to do the normal DX split.

He's up on 20 m phone on 14.190 every night at 0600Z. If he is
going to QSY to RTTY he will announce the frequency then go
down to that part of the band. He ask that everyone have a
bit of patience since he is doing a kluge operation. It takes
him about 10s to do the change and the response to a call
is going to be slow. Also, he has a hand injury and he is
stuck with one-hand one-finger hunt and peck. He's using the
macros but a live QSO will be slower than normal.

If you can think of an easier way for him to get the Pro II,
Rigblaster and Logger 32 combo to work give him a shout while
he's up on phone or get that to me and I can get it to him
over a land line.

He's signing N4BQW/KH9 so if you need Wake Is. give it a try
but understand it is going to be slow and painful.

73 es Aloha,

Walt
AH6OZ