[RTTY] W2UP CQWW RTTY score

To: RTTY@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] W2UP CQWW RTTY score
From: "Barry " <w2up@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:40:56 -0000
                   CQ/RJ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: W2UP
Operator(s): W2UP
Station: W2UP

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: PA
Operating Time (hrs):
Radios: SO2R

   80:  124   239       36      37    12
   40:  373   797       48      62    22
   20:  683  1699       52      82    30
   15:  705  2055       46      90    27
   10:  407  1096       33      74    20
Total: 2372  5886      215     345   111  Total Score = 3,949,506

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

I don't understand the good conditions you guys are talking about.
Here, the low
bands were incredibly noisy Fri and Sat nights (apologies to those
that called
who I couldn't pull through). Sunday, the low bands recovered, but
with only an
hour of darkness at the end of the contest, there's not enough time
to make up
for the other nights. 10 meters only partly opened on Saturday, and
on Sunday,
while open, it wasn't for too long. I did hear a lot of west coast
working
Europe on 15. Guess when it's good for you guys, it's mediocre for us
:.)
Another odd thing - the Africans (9J and 5N) were fluttery, as if
they were
coming over the pole. Overall, I guess I shouldn't complain. Nothing
broke and
it looks like a new record for SO/HP from NA (sorry Don).

Highlights include getting called by 4K6DI and VQ9LA on 40m, JW7XK on
15m, and
5N0NHD on various bands for double mults .  Worked VP5JM at 2359Z for
my final
mult (and a 5 band sweep). Had many stations worked all 5 bands. Many
thanks to
all those who QSYed on request. Funny how pumped up we get from an
exotic mult,
yet I only got NJ on 80 in the last hour - it's not the same thrill
even though
they count equally...

Lowlights include some overly territorial CW guys complaining, by
QRMing, about
RTTY in "their" subbands on 40 and 80. Also, the usual "QSO before"
a few calls. When are these guys going to get it? If I'm calling,
you're not in
my log.  This happened with a few LUs and VE2SB (called him twice and
he
wouldn't listen to reason). My apologies to duping RK2FWA Sunday on
80, whose
call I did bust on Fri night (see, all that noise did take its toll).

Rig: Yaesu FT-1000D, FT-990
Amp: Acom 2000A
Ant: 80 3 el sloper array
      40 Cushcraft 402-CD @ 86 ft
      20-10 TH7 x 3 @ 25, 40 and 76 ft. Upper 2 phased, lower for
second radio
(everything on 1 tower - NQN bandpass filters and stubs switched by
Top Ten
Devices boxes)