[RTTY] W6YX TARA RTTY and 10m signal reports

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] W6YX TARA RTTY and 10m signal reports
From: Dean Wood <n6de@inreach.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 19:56:34 -0800
W6YX TARA RTTY, SOABHP, 5 hours 18 minutes op time
Op: N6DE

80m: 0 QSOs
40m: 0
20m: 69
15m: 136
10m: 54

259 QSOs x 54 mults: 13,986

AA6XV and I were at the W6YX shack chasing TO4E unsuccessfully when Dave told me that there was some RTTY contest this weekend. I should be reading the RTTY reflector archives more often! After reading the rules on the web and setting up Writelog and the RTTY interface, I was QRV by 1842Z Saturday. I was surprised by the amount of activity for this contest.

With 28 days between TARA RTTY and the RTTY Roundup, it was a good chance to sample propagation that may return for the Roundup. The solar conditions were between 112/35/3 and 109/23/4 on Saturday for the contest. Bad conditions for 10m, right? Nope. 10m was WIDE open for us in W6.

I recorded some signal reports on 10m between 2038Z and 2112Z.

599+20dB: W1ZT
599+10dB: N1MGO, N5DY, K2MK, AF4Z, AI9T, KD5OMJ
599+5dB: KK9M
599: K9JS, W1HY

There were dozens of other very loud signals (VE1OP, N4BP, VE2TF, several others) before I started writing down signal reports, and everyone else was an easy 559-589 QSO.

So, for the upcoming RTTY Roundup, don't forget about 10m! Although we are past the sun spot maximum and had an A index in the 30s, don't assume 10m will be dead. The band will still most likely be open and active with loud signals, and will be even better if we don't have the coronal hole disturbance.

See you on 10m and all the other bands in the RTTY Roundup!
-Dean - N6DE