Re: [RTTY] re: RTTY capable amp

To: K4SB <k4sb@earthlink.net>, rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] re: RTTY capable amp
From: Ed Tanton <n4xy@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:11:33 -0500
The beefier version of the 811 is the 572B. Indeed Svetlana makes them... and one 572B is-more or less-equal to two 811s. As previously mentioned, the problem is air. I once ran 2 572Bs in a Collins 30L-1 for about a year. Put two 100cfm muffins on top to extract. Ran about 800W output on CW, and tried RTTY with it a little bit. Even at 250-300W out, it still smelled like it wanted to burn up. Never did... and nothing even discolored... but you just KNEW it wasn't a good idea. Should not have sold it, but I have other amps an needed the $$$. I still have a Hammarlund HXL-1 which has a pair of 572Bs in it. Going to mate it with my HX-50A ("Drifty Fifty") and HQ-180 one of these days and run an all-Hammarlund station for a while.

By the way, I have a nice NCL-2000 converted by Svetlana (not for me-I would NEVER change a boatanchor like this-but it was a done-deal when I acquired it) to a pair of 4CX400s (instead of the expensive-and increasingly scarce 8122s) in a job so well done it looks 'factory' built.) An easy 1kW out or so all day long on CW. Probably 500-600 RTTY with more air: and for that, there's a new 120cfm muffin fan mounted on the rear-again not by me-to pull out the air pushed up through the tube fins by the stock blower. Always loved this amp... beautiful piece of gear.

Finally... I ran an L-7 for a long time on RTTY at 800W-1kW out... as someone mentioned earlier... with a muffin fan extracting on the PS. Something else I shouldn't have sold. Great amp!

73 Ed Tanton N4XY <n4xy@earthlink.net>

Ed Tanton N4XY
189 Pioneer Trail
Marietta, GA 30068-3466

website: http://www.n4xy.com

All emails <IN> & <OUT> checked by
Norton AntiVirus with AutoProtect

LM: ARRL QCWA AMSAT & INDEXA;
SEDXC NCDXA GACW QRP-ARCI
OK-QRP QRP-L #758 K2 (FT) #00057

"He that gives up a little liberty to gain
temporary security will lose both and
deserve neither".
--Benjamin Franklin

"Suppose you were an idiot ...