[RTTY] re: RTTY capable amp.

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] re: RTTY capable amp.
From: f6irf@free.fr
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 10:24:43 +0100
>That's pretty funny, my DRAKE L-7 has been running 1000 on RTTY Contests
>for about 15 years or so.

OK I'm probably too conservative, but I can't support the smell of the "hot
component" ... For me a L7 (like a SB220, TL922, L4, etc) is dimensionned for a
good K in SSB... not more!
Also depends if you are a CQ'er or a S&P'er... it makes a lot of difference on
the duty cycle - especialy when the rate is low!
For a PA, my principle is that the "brick-on-the-key" power gives you a
reliable TTY contest operating power... anything above this is only "CQ and
pray !".

I think the following rule can also be applied to any part of the TX-chain
(from the transceiver to the antenna): A reliable limit is given by SSBrating/4
or by CWrating/2; anything above this is only "possible". But once again this
is a conservative approach...

Scott,
Googling around I found this interesting page:
http://lists.contesting.com/archives/html/CQ-Contest/1996-05/msg00055.html
The AMP reflector on contesting.com is also a very useful source of
information... just type a brand / model in the search engine, and you 'll get
a lot of informations from this eqt users...

Happy new year to all and cu next year in the round-up...
Patrick