Re: [RTTY] K7UDG and getting back to RTTY

To: Phil Cooper <pcooper@guernsey.net>, "RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] K7UDG and getting back to RTTY
From: Mark Perrin <mperrin@ordata.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 11:02:33 -0800
Phil's advice is well taken. I am newish to RTTY and got going with MMTTY based on AA5AU's primer, originally on www.aa5au.com and now on www.rttycontesting.com - a big thank you to Don for that! I have now operated in all the contests since CQ WW last Sept, save the SARTG one. I have used WriteLog and the MMTTY Plug-In for contesting, but use MMTTY on a daily basis for RTTY. The only tricky part was athe Com port set up, and a second and more careful of the AA5AU primer got me straight. I do find that occasionally, the ole laptop decides to re-set the mark/space paramenters, so I look at that from time to time when operating, and if necessary, just click on the "HAM" button and all restored. The MMTTY macros, well documented in its Help files, also permit MMTTY for contesting - jsut that longtime WriteLog user.

I am satisfied with the soundcard/MMTTY approach; and it has made RTTY easy. The bonus is that RTTY is, for me, simply magical!

I suspect you have joined the RTTY reflector/mail list; but if not, great group. I have, contacted various people from time to time with my stupid questions, got answers and made some friends too boot. Phil GU0SUP took the time the other day to say he had heard me chasing a SV and a signal report - as I need GU for a RTTY DXCC, plus lots others, and, well, that is not what one seems customarily with the "other" modes. [Tnx Phil!]

73 from Oregon de Mark N7MQ