Re: [RTTY] Noise with MMTTY...

To: cfmorris@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Noise with MMTTY...
From: Larry L Lindblom <llindblom@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:21:06 -0600
I can't speak to this issue directly.  However, on the human factors side
people doing signal detection research stumbled across something that is
counter intuitive.  Is it easier to copy a weak CW signal on a quiet or
noisy band?

Many people will say it is easiest to copy CW on a quiet band.  However,
under controlled testing people did a better job of copying a weak CW
signal in noise than when there was no noise.  A demonstration of this on
NPR nearly blew me away.  The played 10 seconds of what to the human ear
sounded like silence but actually contained a very low level CW signal.
When noise was added in the CW signal was very obvious.  Of course too
much noise mask the signal entirely.

I doubt electronic circuits/software work the same as the human brain.
But, the next time you operate the original digital mode don't cuss any
noise for it might be help your brain detect a signal that it otherwise
might not process.

73 W0ETC